Saturday 10 September 2011

Simon Paton on bass on board for PDG

We mentioned that we have a committed new wonder bassist in our blog with the great picture of the van, but to properly introduce Simon C. Paton, here's his autobio from http://simoncpaton.yolasite.com/

I do all kinds of crap :::
I am a bass guitarist playing in various field of music.  Mostly jazz, pop, funk, contemporary, avant-rock, sonic arts and improvised music.
I played violin and guitar around about when I was 7 and around between the ages of 12-14...ish I had switched to playing viola and bass (because my fingers were huge) and had my first bits of performing experience on the bass playing in Bournemouth Youth Jazz Orchestra.  I played there for about 6 years or so.  After trying to teach myself Nirvana and Slipknot basslines, I then started getting into a lot of funk as well as some of the more "out there" "indie rock". Around about 18, I started getting into more fucked up music and formed the electronica duo (often solo project) Fridge Noises, inspired by much of the stuff Squarepusher and Boards of Canada did.  I played alongside some pretty awesome acts then.  I've since abandonded the FN moniker, did an album of alt folk inspired stuff under the name Can't Swim Won't Swim and now I make sound art/electronica music under the psudonym C!!S!!W!!S!!
I studied at London College of Music (part of the University of West London) with bass guitar genius Paul Westwood as well as Humphrey Littleton alumni pianist Eddie Harvey and saxophonist Pete Cook.  I'm also currently in the process of setting up my own group which I lead called 'Gwarek2'.  This has a mix of original compositions and re-arrangements of tunes by the likes of Mouse on Mars and Flying Lotus.  The group is largely jazz based, but also has elements of funk, electronica and contemporary music.
As well as bass guitar, I also play (to varying degrees) viola, piano and guitar.  I also compose music in addition to putting on gigs (under the name 'Moby Duck', a night which has an "anything goes" policy) and run a record label 'Kayfabe Friends' which releases CD-R's of various projects I'm involved in as well as stuff by other people that I really like lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment